Friday, October 16, 2009

I'm not a racist, but I'm going to make judgments on race.

Somewhere's friend posted this link about a justice of the peace who denied an interracial couple a license on FB, and I love it. Here is my favorite line:

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

For starters, how about some activist judging, huh? Nice that he did his own study on which marriages work and which don't. That's some serious ex parte communication, no?

What I really like though is that it reminds me of the guy on Survivor: "Look, she's from the ghetto, and she's trashy, so she's ghetto trash. . . She's not a lady. She's a bitch."

1 comment:

  1. The comment I had posted when I shared the link on Google Reader:

    This one's fun, because some dude from Virginia argued this before the Supreme Court in 1967 and was unanimously rejected.

    http://www.oyez.org/cases/1960-1969/1966/1966_395

    Download the mp3, and start listening from about 1:18. At 1:22, you'll hear the "it's for the kids!" argument. It's also fun because the rest of the arguments are, pretty much verbatim, the same arguments against gay marriage. You know the ones...it's against God and nature, and it will lead to polygamy, incest, and the general the degradation of society.

    Note: to see the time stamp, you'll have to "save as" and then open the file in iTunes or similar.

    ReplyDelete