Monday, April 20, 2009

How Smurfy are you?

On a lighter note, 7 facts about Smurfs:
  • Smurfs are said to be three apples high. Mama Z thinks that this would make it hard for them to live in mush-rooms. However, this ignores the obvious fact that those were just homes made to look like mushrooms (or they were magically large mushrooms, definitely one of those two).
  • Gargamel was often trying to catch 6 smurfs for a potion that would allow him to make gold. I am fascinated by what properties could exist within a 3 apple high, blue creature that could produce gold. And why 6? It probably has to do with smurfiness.
  • One of the teachers at my high school looked exactly like Gargamel.
  • I won 2 CDs from WALT 1600 AM, the Davidson student radio station, by answering a question about Smurfs. I believe it was, "What is the name of the cat on the Smurfs?" I, of course, answered, "Azrael." The guy on the radio had the nerve to tell me I was wrong and the right answer was Gargamel. I eventually convinced him I was right. All of this happened on the air. (The CDs were the MOD Squad Soundtrack and Crack the Sky's "Dog City" - my favorite song is track 3.)
  • As everyone knows, Smurfette was not an original Smurf but was created by Gargamel as a way of infiltrating the Smurf village. What a great plan!
  • We all remember Brainy Smurf, Handy Smurf and Lazy Smurf. But did you remember that their is a Reporter Smurf? Only one hundred people live in Smurf village. Is reporter an essential job in that situation?
  • Did you know that Smurfs are Belgian? True story. Created by a cartoonist named Peyo (one name) in the 1950s.

1 comment:

  1. I call Shenanigans!

    The average height of a cat is 9-10 inches. An average apple variety is between 3 and 4 inches. A Smurf would be as tall as or taller than Azrael. This video clearly shows Azrael is significantly larger than the Smurfs in multiple scenes:

    http://espanol.video.yahoo.com/watch/3631761/10010300

    The phrase "three apples high" is clearly erroneous, and should be changed to "three crabapples high," or "three cherries high," which would be far more accurate.


    One more fun fact: Did you know that in Spanish, the Smurfs were known as Los Pitufos, which translated to English means "shorty" or "ankle-biter"?

    I love the Interweb!

    ReplyDelete