Friday, May 1, 2009

Twitter, once again.

OK so I still classify myself as a Twitter skeptic. I opened an account a few months ago because I thought that way I might figure out what the big deal was, but then dropped it for several weeks. Now I've only started using it once in a while because I have this awesome dashboard widget and it's easier to update by FB status if that desire strikes me. Safari Beta is kinda slow.

But it's not something that I think is going to last. So why on earth does Obama need to keep using it? This article explains he needs to keep up his tech cred, but really, I'm kinda relieved. He would never use it personally, so it would be some office peon updating it, or the communications office would get a hold of it and it would be just one more vehicle through which he could spew PR. I don't think the tech world is served by creating one more medium to do nothing.

4 comments:

  1. I find two things odd about the article:

    1) Ashton Kucher has a million followers? Really?

    2) The author of the article states that if the president is too busy, someone else could just post his address on it, but at the same time he wants to know the personal information like when he has to go to the bathroom because that would be so humanizing. He doesn't seem to see that it would just end up being updated by some intern.

    But now that I think about it, I want that job. I may have to make a fake Obama Twitter account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how much tech cred does one really need?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, do you really want to know when the President is scratching his balls? (Token, please do not answer that truthfully.)

    Twitter is a cult. And not a cult of personality. Just a koolaid-centric cult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why am I the subject of your aside, Scott?! Ew.

    ReplyDelete