Friday, May 1, 2009

Clinton will not be on the SCOTUS!

I was appalled to see a post on a friend's Facebook page that she would be "pissed" if Obama appointed Bill Clinton to the Supreme Court to replace Souter. I think such a thing is VERY unlikely. There are many reasons for my thinking that it is unlikely. For example, I think Obama likely does not want a Clinton in a branch of the government he does not control.

However, the main reason I think it is INCREDIBLY unlikely that Obama will appoint Clinton is that Clinton was DISBARRED from the Supreme Court Bar. Come on people!

5 comments:

  1. I'm no law student, but it does seem to me that it would be tough to be disbarred and a Supreme Court Justice at the same time.

    Did they discuss this in Professional Responsibility?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure there's some hard and fast rule that you have to be a lawyer or even a member of the bar to be on the Supreme Court.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for "discussing" this in Professional Responsibility. If it did not have to do with fee disputes or potential conflicts of interest, I contend it was never mentioned - and even then all I heard was hot air rushing through a balloon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess that's true. You don't have to be a lawyer, but despite the fact that I think any president should be able to appoint whomever he pleases, I think I would oppose a lawyer who has been disbarred. Isn't that kind of like appointing Joe Morrissey to the SCV?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think. If Obama appointed Clinton to the SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES, even I would hate Obama for it. Don't get me wrong...I <3 me some Bill...but I want some fabulously nerdy nerdster judicial person...

    ReplyDelete